Sunday, September 7, 2008

Gluten-free

Hi, Jake. I just read your post. If Emily was still awake I'd have her write something. We miss all of you guys.

We've been having a tough go of things lately. Emily went back on Cyclosporine a few weeks ago. This time it hasn't been helping at all, in fact the disease is progressing as rapidly as ever. Her scalp is almost always bleeding in one spot or another. We filled a new prescription (thinking maybe the one we were using was ineffective because it's a few months old). This time we got the generic brand. It's horrible. Even though the old brand was "yucky," Emily still took it without any trouble. Today she was in tears before I ever got the medicine ready. She says that this generic one burns her throat on the way down. Our doctor is out of the country right now. We hoped to be able to talk to him about other options.

I talked to his assistant about MTX. She assured me that there is a pill form. Can any of you tell me (if you know) any advantages/disadvantages to shots over pills?

And while I'm posting questions: Christine, you mentioned the gluten-free diet. Was that helpful at all? You also mentioned that Carly was showing signs of psoriatic arthritis. Do you know if the arthritis can cause permanent damage? Emily has been showing signs. I don't know how long I should wait to see if the medication is effective, or if we need to demand a more effective treatment option immediately.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I'm so sorry to hear you guys are struggling so much with Emily's ps right now. Jacob takes the pill form of MTX but I honestly don't know what the difference is between it and the shots. The pills did wonders for him and have put him in remission now for about 3 months with pretty much 100% relief. Can you take Emily in to see any other doctors while yours is out of the country? I know that Jake's doctor has told me that I can never let his ps get so bad again because it just takes longer to get it under control. I have found that the MTX has very little effect on Jake. He was a little more tired and just kind of blah the first couple of times he took it but now I don't even notice anything different about him. Good luck with it all and if you need someone to talk to please please email or call me!!

We love you Em and we're sorry that you feel so yucky :(. Jake says he's sorry too and you should take MTX like him. :)

Christine said...

Hey guys!

We miss all of you!

Regarding MTX in Pill or Shot form; Childrens Hospital told me they prefer the shots. One reason I know is that it is supposed to be easier on the tummy. I think they are faster acting too. I'm not really sure about anything else, I honestly didn't ask.

When we were on the Gluten Free diet, Carly saw a big improvement in some belly symptoms. I never really saw any improvement with her skin. Of course at that time we were still passing strep around the house. That could have made all the diference.

Carly has a friend that has juvanile Arthritis and has many of the simular issues we have had. For us, as soon as we started the MTX we stopped having symptoms.

The girls are doing great but showing some signs of P again in their scalp. I'm getting a little worried :-(

I'll have them post tomorrow. They ask about everyone all the time. They really miss their friends.

Anonymous said...

We actually were glueten free due to Benjamin's brother's belly problems last spring. It was an incredible challenge, but unfortunately so no improvement in Ben's skin or my son's belly problems. We spent hours and hours researching, shopping and coming up with recipies to no avail. Benjamin has started on Barney's formula and it is keeping things at bay for now...I'll write more about that later. Hope things start improving for Emily soon and we will keep her in our thoughts. Jeanne and Benjamin